1Choose your package
WaterMaarq Mud Islands and South Channel Fort Bird Watching Eco Boat Tour is a 2.5 hour cruise exploring the ecologically and historically significant Port Phillip Bay islands. View abundant birdlife on a boutique tour for 12 guests.
The 2.5-hr Island Hop RIB Boat Cruise takes you to the little known islands of Port Phillip Bay. The habitat of the Mud Islands, and the historic South Channel Fort annulus are essential for the survival of birdlife and marine creatures.
Explore the environmentally significant Mud Islands and observe a multitude of thriving birdlife on this small group RIB boat adventure cruise. Also visit the man-made island of South Channel Fort and gain exclusive access to the late 1800's underground fort installation.
Departing from Sorrento, a swift ride on the RIB Boat will take you meandering between the sand banks towards the island that sits low on the horizon. Getting ever closer to the landing point the vegetation including salt-marsh, shrub-land and seagrasses becomes more obvious.
Arriving at Mud Island, it’s time to leap ashore and enjoy a 45-minute walk around the lookout and along the untouched beaches. Your first sighting of gannets, terns, cormorants and pelicans will inspire you to seek out more species before returning to the boat for the trip to South Channel Fort.
An internationally significant habitat for many birds, the Mud Islands represent a great spot for birdwatching and up to 70 species have been recorded. Listed as a RAMSAR site, which is an intergovernmental treaty for the conservation of wetlands, visiting the island is a unique experience that connects you with a spectacular insight into one of the Bay’s big secrets.
South Channel Fort
Taking a 30-minute guided walk around the fort, you'll not only enjoy the views and the unique birdlife including White-faced Storm Petrels (and potentially Penguins), you'll also gain access to the below ground features such as the Barracks, Kitchen and Ammunition stores which are closed to the public.
Built in response to several 'war scares' between Britain and Russia and the threat of invasion, the unique shoal fort was modelled on the 1860 and 1876 Spithead forts used in the National defences of the naval bases and dockyards of Britain.
Military and history enthusiasts will enjoy the tour into the underground keep with it's labyrinth of passages, magazines and descent into the former lives of the officers that lived on the island.
A historically, architecturally and now environmentally significant part of Victoria's history, we're delighted to share these little known gems of our region. By doing so, we hope to aid protection and conservation of our significant birdlife, marine life and heritage.
- Swift eco style rigid inflatable boat
- Small group tour for a more personalised experience
- Exclusive access to the islands
- Opportunity to observe diverse species including White-faced Storm Petrels and Black-faced Cormorants
- Insights and commentary with local qualified guides
- Access to Mud Island is highly dependent on tide and sea levels
- Guests must be physically fit and have sufficient mobility as it may be necessary to wade to shore, and/or step from the boat directly onto the sandy shore at Mud Island
- At South Channel Fort, it may be necessary to scale vertical ladders and negotiate uneven ground and steep steps, this may not be suitable for everyone
Terms & Conditions:
- Tours depart from Sorrento Pier
- Directions to Sorrento Pier
- All Guests must be minimum 5 years of age
- All Guests must be minimum 100cm tall
- Please be at the pier at least 15 minutes before tour departure time to ensure you have enough time to check in and make yourself comfortable
- Tours depart at the scheduled time and will not wait for late guests
- Please dress comfortably and warmly
- Please allow for the beach landing, which may involve taking shoes on and off, including wetting your feet
- Guests with back, neck, shoulder or heart conditions, those who are pregnant or who have injuries/conditions that may cause a risk to their health are advised to not do these tours, or do so at their own risk
- Eligibility of guests to participate in the tour is at the discretion of the Captain who has the right to refuse passage
- Sea conditions can be unpredictable at times, this may cause physical injury, psychological stress or motion sickness
- Tours are rarely cancelled, the experience provider will reschedule your tour only in the case of severe weather which would make the tour unsafe
- Contact us with any queries in relation to your group's specific requirements
- The supplier reserves the right to substitute the vessel and / or change the day’s itinerary without notice
- alarm Duration: 150
- person Age: All Ages
- people Group Size: Min 1
question_answer Frequently Asked Questions
What is the minimum age for Tours at Sorrento?
The minimum age for Tours at Sorrento is suitable for all ages.
How long does an Tours session at Sorrento last?
The average Tours session at our Sorrento centre is 2.5 to 3.5 hour.
Is Tours Sorrento open for bookings during the week?
Absolutely, however Tours is busiest at the weekend - and our Sorrento centre is no exception. This means you might need a larger group monday through friday.
Is Tours Sorrento open for bookings at weekends?
Tours at Sorrento is busiest at the weekends so we'd definitely recommend booking in advance! Obviously, we'll always try to accommodate last minute Tours bookings but once the spots are booked up they are booked up!
How popular is the Tours Sorrento center?
Geronigo® aims for all of our Tours locations to be amongst the the best and most popular, our Tours Sorrento center is no exception. Book with confidence!
Can I buy a gift voucher for Tours Sorrento?
Yes you can buy Tours Sorrento gift vouchers either online or over the phone. Geronigo® gift vouchers are valid for 12 months, can be gift wrapped or for a last minute gift idea can be instant email delivered. Remember that any gift experience voucher from Geronigo® including our Tours Sorrento vouchers can be used for booking at any of our thousands of Geronigo® adventure locations (for no extra charge!).
What is the postcode for Tours Sorrento?
The postcode for Tours Sorrento is Sorrento VIC 3943. Please note that sometimes our Tours centers are difficult to find from a postcode and satnav. We will supply detailed directions to Tours Sorrento on your booking receipt.
Where is Tours Sorrento?
The Tours Sorrento center is located at the following address: Sorrento Pier, Esplanade, Sorrento VIC 3943, Australia. Please note that sometimes our Tours centers are difficult to find, please follow the directions on your booking receipt!
How much is Tours at Sorrento?
The average package price of Tours at Sorrento $1,095.00. The lowest price is $99.00 with the most expensive option being $1,100.00.
One Gift Card...Every Adventure!
12 MonthsValid for 12 Months
525 LocationsRedeem at 525 Tours Locations
A Further 5000 Locations Worldwide...
Our Gift Cards are not just awesome for our 525 Tours locations, they can be redeemed against any Geronigo adventure at nearly 5000 locations worldwide! Literally giving the lucky recipient access to over ten thousand action packed experience days.
If, within 7 days of purchasing your GeronigoÂ® gift card, you change your mind for any reason. We will offer you a full refund, no questions asked! Subject to the voucher being unused and any postal vouchers being returned in good condition.
Venue Ref: 1009860-250